Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Designing a work table

On Wed, 09 May 2012 01:29:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 08 May 2012 23:40:17 -0400, wrote:

Bill wrote:

One question I am trying to find the answer to, which surely is in the
"beginner" category, is whether the rubber conduit that covers the 3
wires from the electrical fan comes already attached to the fan?

Obviously, I meant, already attached to the fan *Motor*, rather than the
fan.

But of course.

And, if
not, then how is it attached to the motor, and should it be replaced
periodically? I think we all want to keep our high voltage wires Dry!
: ) It the conduit comes attached to the motor, than that nullifies all
of my concerns about that.

Who left the garden hose in your furnace closet, Bill? How would
wiring get wet in there?!?

No this heat pump is outside, running 4 seasons out of the year. If it
were not for the conduit, the wires to the fan motor would be *directly*
exposed to the elements ALL of the time.

Oh, THAT motor. You'd better -hope- the new fan has a watertight seal
on it.

Concerning a new work table, I'm looking forward to building one very
much like the one Swingman posted a SU diagram of recently. Except mine
will be 40" tall (higher), shorter in length, and sport a machinist
vise. I have little doubt that it will live a long and useful life, like
everyone else's first bench's seem to. I have a very slight tendancy to
permit things to get complicated, but I need the bench too much to let
that happen here. I can worry about the drawers, inlay, breadboard ends,
and relief-carved ornamentation later: : )

You're laser etching and dyeing a new wire-rubber, right?

That reminds me, someone recommended a similar mat to me for wood
carving. I picked up a "2-man saw" a few weeks ago at an auction as a
decor item for not too many bucks. As you may recall I still have
painting to do and lights to hang. At least, its that time of year that
I get shop time, along with my yard work of course. Damn weeds! ; )

I lost my cantaloupe plant and a cucumber to 90F today. I last watered
them on Sunday, but the beating sun grows weeds and kills underwatered
plants mercilessly.

If you do paint that saw, I'll hope the sun is merciless with you,
too, HEATHEN!

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca