Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Designing a work table

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2012 20:09:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Geeze Mike, Don't be so sensitive. I don't read any other newsgroups.

Maybe you should Bill. This is not an air conditioning newsgroup.

Maybe so, but the breadth of knowledge here and the wide experience of
many is usually enough to answer most any basic question, especially
when it comes to something in the home. That's one reason why I like
to hang out here. Perhaps Bill feels the same way.

Thank you Dave. You are absolutely right.
As Mike M. has said himself before, this group is something of a "boys
club". It's surely not just another forum, at least not to me. I
thought my previous post was a little long, but I also thought it had
the potential to be useful to someone else. I hope other folks will
feel free to post threads that have a reasonable chance to help me save
$600, and/or to help me be a better DIY'er. As Swingman has said
(paraphrased here): We can't just discuss joinery all the time.

I did find some helpful info regarding my upcoming AC fan replacement at
EHow.com. The newsgroup alt.HVAC was useless in this regard.

One question I am trying to find the answer to, which surely is in the
"beginner" category, is whether the rubber conduit that covers the 3
wires from the electrical fan comes already attached to the fan? And,
if not, then how is it attached to the motor, and should it be replaced
periodically? I think we all want to keep our high voltage wires Dry!
: ) It the conduit comes attached to the motor, than that nullifies
all of my concerns about that.

Concerning a new work table, I'm looking forward to building one very
much like the one Swingman posted a SU diagram of recently. Except mine
will be 40" tall (higher), shorter in length, and sport a machinist
vise. I have little doubt that it will live a long and useful life, like
everyone else's first bench's seem to. I have a very slight tendancy to
permit things to get complicated, but I need the bench too much to let
that happen here. I can worry about the drawers, inlay, breadboard ends,
and relief-carved ornamentation later: : )

Bill