Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Designing a work table

Swingman wrote:
On 5/7/2012 10:45 PM, Bill wrote:

It felt strange to pass on the repair, but I have no regrets so far.
So far it's hot, but nice not feeling like a victim. He wasn't going to
replace it today anyway, so I'd still be hot! : )

Even a "builder grade" (usually a Goodman around here) compressor and
fan unit (the part that sits outside) runs around $1800 - $2000 to
replace. That's about what I've had to pay to replace those stolen off
of construction sites the last couple of times that has happened.

I ordered the fan locally (being shipped from TX) this morning.
It was $140 + shipping.

I spent a lot of time reading on the matter last night. Carrier
practically regards specifications of their parts as proprietary!

In the end, the model# of the fan motor in the unit, which to my
surprise was not original, was the way that the supplier helped me
choose a motor (I had detailed all of the specifications from it).

If anyone reading would be interested in helping me with my checklist,
here is what it looks like, to me, that I need to do (I hope you'll
correct me if if looks like I'm confused, I mean more than usual %-)

0. Remove (quick-disconnect) fuse.

1. Remove the 4 bolts that look like they holding down a bbq-grill on
top. Let's just refer to the bbq-grill as TOP below. Do not remove, I
think, the 4 bolts holding down the 2-inch high "cover" to which the
TOP is attached.

2. Reach under the TOP and slide the rubber(?) conduit away from the motor.

3. Remove the 3 motor wires, Yellow, Brown and Black from where they are
attached to in the "electric box" area, paying close attention to where
they are attached. This will require slight modification (see #8 ).

4. Lay a 4'by4' board, or equivalent accross unit, and flip the "whole
works", TOP, fan motor, and fan upside down on top, using the board for
support.

5. Remove the fan from the rotor. Use a little penetrating oil, and
hope and pray a little bit. Anything else? Kick it? lol!

6. Remove the 4 bolts holding motor to top

7. Reverse process with new motor, however--

8. I am getting a new 6-amp capacitor with the motor, while the existing
capacitor was 7.5-amp and is part of a dual fan/compressor capacitor
unit. I have been examining a wiring diagram (not something I do
everyday).

Since it currently shared, on the capacitor, I assume Yellow is Common.
Black is clearly Hot. Since it is a 240v fan, I assume Brown is also
Hot. I could be mistaken.

I see how they are marked on a wiring digram I found for my Heat Pump/AC:

BROWN = O--|(--O = YELLOW

The notation: ---|(--- was somewhat familiar to me when I was in junior
high. O, of course, just represents a connection.

My recollection is the current wants to go from the (-- side to the --|
side above, which would make me want to infer that YELLOW is Hot and
Brown is Common.

If the top of the capacitor is marked with O--| and (--O, that should
tell me where to attach my brown and yellow wires, no matter what they
are. If the capacitor is going to be marked in some other way, PLEASE
advise!!!

9. Tighten screws. Hope. Replace fuse. Done?

10. Decide whether to put all of the $600 saved towards woodworking
tools and materials, or just part of it.

Well, that's the plan. I call this "doing it", MM!
I need to print this out! : )

Bill