Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Designing a work table

On Mon, 07 May 2012 23:45:38 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:

I'll be able to get back to ww stuff soon.

The AC broke today (only blows room temperature air). But, I'm a little
ahead of the game this year, compared to last year when it also broke
(twice: solenoid and a pin-hole leak). I had mentioned it last year,
else I wouldn't have brought it up. I just examined the solenoid, and it
is not "split" like last year, so it's time to call a pro.

Anyway, for my $90 diagnostic inspection, the Heating & AC pro deduced
that the fan motor is froze (i.e. broken). This is the fan motor that
sits right on top of the unit, attached to the underside of the cover.

After sitting in his truck for a quite a while, he came out and said it
would be $725 more to fix it. He suggested I consider buying a new unit
instead of putting so much money into an 11 year old unit. He had no
idea how much that would cost (but eventually he said $5K-10K), but he
could have his salespeople out tomorrow.

My neighbor just had a 30 y/o fan motor replaced for $500 last month.
The guy had to dismantle the whole system to get to it, so I could
understand the $225 labor fee. The motor was $275. WE are in the
wrong business, Bill.

Concerning the motor, he would not separate parts from labor, had no
idea how much the parts actually cost, and would not even wave the $90
inspection fee if I paid the $725. I'm not really faulting him for the
first two, I'm just sayin' (they must not need the work very bad).

Would he waive it even if he didn't wave it? titter

So I told him I would try to replace the motor myself.

Maybe God is guiding me to do electrical work instead of woodworking? : )

Uh, right, but can we see your 623 page detailed plan on doing the
repair before you do it, please? Thanks.

Over $500 to install a motor I can see (it's not like it's hidden behing
an alternator)? Grumble, grumble, $%#@#@!!!

It felt strange to pass on the repair, but I have no regrets so far.
So far it's hot, but nice not feeling like a victim. He wasn't going
to replace it today anyway, so I'd still be hot! : )

When you get there, make sure it's not just the squirrel cage screw
which had come loose and allowed the cage to get hung, causing an
apparent motor freezeup. My new Carrier Infinity had that problem a
few months old, but it wobbled and vibrated instead of hanging. That
whole 1500s/f system was $6k installed. The house had baseboard
heaters and no fans before that. It's 96% efficient, has A/C and
everything. I love it!

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca