Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default $50K/year RE Taxes (was SCORE!)

On Sun, 06 May 2012 11:56:54 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus11847 wrote:

[snip]

Regarding end mills, I agree with you, more or less. It is cheaper to
buy new end mills, or buy them at auctions, for cash, or have Bob
sharpen my endmills.

Bob is the guy who does T&C grinding and who sold me my warehouse
building. He could not own this building due to real estate taxes. His
2011 tax was raised to $49,000 PER YEAR, and the only thing he could
do is sell the building for whatever he could get. He sold it to me,
and due to purchase price, my real estate tax was lowered to $21k per
year.

He was already behind on taxes and could do nothing.

I strongly feel that it is unfair, but at least I am on the better
side of this unfairness.

Sounds like there is an interesting story here. Why couldn't Bob get
the reduction without selling?

Joe Gwinn

Because the Assessors Office valued the commercial property too high
considering the prices at the peak of the real estate market. And the
only way to prove that the assessment is too high was for Joe to sell
the building - then they place the new valuation at the actual sale
price which dropped Iggy's property tax bill. For a while...

But don't worry, Iggy - You don't have Proposition 13, so the State
Assessor is free to crank the valuation back up almost at their whim
when they decide they're going broke again, and the only way out is to
sell it yourself. And when it happens, you might want to look for a
new shop in a lower tax state.

-- Bruce --