Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tire/wheel balancing at home

I've done it. JC Whitney used to have a tire balancer, which had a bubble in
the center. One friend of mine had one, so I ordered one. The one they
shipped was junk, and broke instantly under use. Farm and Garden place may
have a reasonable one. Sometimes you may be able to find one sale, used.

Mounting and dismounting can be done with a bumper jack, heavy vehicle for
break down. Couple of tire spoons, or big screw drivers.

Farmer Bob, friend of mine, since retired. Used to mount his own tires cause
he could have it done in the same ammount of time as going to town.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"stryped" wrote in message
I am a tool freak lol. Also, I live in the country with the nearest
town about 12 miles away and that one is a small one with only 1-2
shops other than wal mart that can change tires or repair flats.

Is it economically feasable to mount and balance car tires at home? Is
a used balancer on craigslist easy to come by? Is a professional tire
mounter necessary or would one of those TSC manual tire changers
suffice? I also have seen those bubble balancers but have heard they
dont work well for balancing automotive tires. Is this true? My wife
is needing some tires on her escape and it got me thinking. You can
actually order tires online but not sure if it is a huge cost savings
compared to wal mart or not. Part of the reasoning is my time.
Everything around here closes at noon on Saturday and Saturday seems
to be my only day available anymore.