Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default SCORE!

. 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley
in news:TsKdndzOH4OXuTvSnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

At this point, I'm pretty well convinced that your "couple of regular
users" are either pulling your leg, have never used better equipment,
and/or seldom purchase new endmills or more likely some combination of
the above.

That said, they are what they are, mine has probably saved me nearly
100 grand over the years, but there are a handful of jobs that I run
here where I really do need a high quality grind, and those tools I
send out, mostly because I do not have the floor space for another
grinder.

Maybe from your elevated perch

No "elevated perch"

--it's just that I've had a darex for a LONG time now and I've actually used
it to sharpen endmills many thousands of times.

You, on the other hand, have probably never sharpened an endmill in your
entire life, yet here you are you are, trying to tell me how great of a job
it does....

of actually doing the machining itself for
a living, you don't see things from the perspective of 'normal' people
who build stuff for a living, and only do machining as an expedient to
getting stuff built.

LOL--not sure what your problem is. You think I don't "build stuff" for a
living ?

As though having spent about 2 decades building gearboxes and control
surface actuaters, landing gear parts and so forth for commercial airliners
somehow doesn't count as "building stuff" ?

And nowadays, I own and manufacture an entire product line--tools for the
discriminating model builder; I have a global distribution network
comprising over 60 retail sellers in 21 countries across the globe.

I have 3 Fadal machining centers and a Bridgeport FMS 4 axis cell with 80
tools ATC and 8 300 mm work pallets.

I have 2 cnc swiss...Maurobeni Citizen

--a pair of German Lathes made by Weiler...A Hardinge TR and a Tsugami Super
precision.

And other small /manual machine tools too numerous to mention...

You think all of the tooling and the workholding fixtures and what not just
magically appeared in my shop one day ?

Oh almost forgot--I'm also in the process of building a 5 x 12 foot router,
but that is for my oldest son, because I do not want it to stay in my
basement forever... maybe I'll post a picture some day...

Sheesh...

If you - as a 35-year veteran PRECISION machinist - have only a
'handful' of jobs needing a better-ground cutter than the Darex can
produce, then you've just admitted it will do one hell of a good job.

BUT IT WON'T produce anything even closely resembling a factory
grind....something which you are apparently having an exceptionally rough
time comprehending....

I actually do know when and where a factory grind REALLY is needed; and I
also know when even a factory grind simply won't do, in which case I either
send the work out to a grind shop or else I mount a grinding wheel onto a
cat40 holder, dressing it with a macro so that my height offsets remain
stable.

Either that, or folks don't trust your skills enough to give you more

Actually, when it comes to 'job shop' work, I've trimmed my customer base
drastically over the years by turning away the vast majority of work, to the
point where nowadays, any contract work that I DO accept is pretty darned
complex, and on a VERY tightly compressed time schedule, specifically,
orbital defense and communication hardware where the proposed launch date is
under a significant threat of delay.

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/dsc0015mv.jpg/

FWIW, all of those parts were validated as having a 16 finish or better
despite their visual appearance...

than a handful of jobs requiring good finish. I would hope it's the
former and not the latter.

Pretty sure your idea of a "good finsh" differs considerably from mine; for
me, surface finish is a quantifiable technical measurement that defines (and
limits) viable process options and ultimately effects customer rejection and
mechanical failure rates.

And since anyone who expends additional time and resources in order to
produce a finish that is "better" than customer requirements is likely to go
out of business fairly soon, through the years it's been important for me to
have a fairly thorough understanding of all the variables affecting part
finish.

Mostly, though, due to the function of the tools I make, I need a 90 degree
'knife edge' on the finished part...basically a knife edge, in aluminum..the
target being ZERO raised burr as observed under a microscope, which is
physically impossible in the first place, and the situation only worsens
where you have a friggen sub-miniature mountain ridge on your the cutting
tools.

I have a spare granite plate occupying the same spot now that the E90
would fit nicely into. That's a good idea.

I sold all my "spare granite plates" many years ago, floor space is too
valuable.....

I'm in need of another knee surgery; I've grown tired of tripping over and
having to walk around a bunch of machinery and **** that seldom if ever
actually generates revenue.

Sorry to burst your bubble but as I said before, the darex simply is NOT
capable of producing anything even closely resembling a factory grind and
your attempts at marginalizing my experience and skill level simply is not
going to change that fact.

Anyways, I have better things to do...congratulations on your purchase....

--if you got the radius attachment, I'm fairly certain you are going to be
hugely dissapointed with it.

Also, you will probably want to get the borazon and diamond wheels--these
will give you a MUCH finer grind as compared to aluminum oxide and the
green...and while it will do a reasonable job in sharpening the end primary,
you'll probably also come to agree that the cam system that lowers the air
bar for grinding of the end secondary is an exceedingly hoakey setup and so
like me, out of frustration, you'll probably end up routinely doing that by
hand on a bench grinder for any tools that are over say 3/8 inch diameter or
so.

Other than that, it is likely to save you quite a bit of money if you are
currently sending out lots of tools for od grind so long as the vast
majority of your work falls into the "utility" category...

In other words, basically it's simply another cool toy unless you would have
spent a similar amount of money on outside tool grinding such that a return
on your investment will occur within a reasonable time period.

Lloyd