Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11847 Ignoramus11847 is offline

Default SCORE!

On 2012-05-06, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sat, 05 May 2012 19:28:35 -0500, Ignoramus18788

On 2012-05-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus18788 fired this volley in
:

I sold a very nice Cuttermaster for $750 or so half a year ago...

Cuttermasters are nice, too. Was that a Cuttermaster Pro, or the
"small" version? How new? How many collets? Stand? The E90 I got is
virtually virgin, and everything's in the kit.

Despite PM's post, I have it on authority from a couple of other regular
users that a _skilled_ user of an E90 can make very close to factory-new
edges AND ends on milling cutters. Only, like so many things, it takes
some skill. PM probably hasn't spent the time to learn. I'm retired.
I'll find the time.

So... Ok... I ruin a dozen junked bits that are useless anyway. I'm an
apt student. Bet I either figure out how to make it work to snuff, or
figure out why it can't -- and fix it! G

These things are not complicated, but they are expensive in terms of time
to build from scratch. Even a ready-made machine that doesn't work
_quite_ right would be easier to fix than making one myself, and I can
guarantee that the $1400 I paid was less expensive than the cost of the
'normal' fully-equipped jig Plus a Cincy #2.

I just signed a new, large 8-month contract for machines Friday. I need
time and sharp bits. I don't need to make the machine to sharpen them.

LLoyd

Lloyd, I am very interested, myself, as to

1) Whether one can do a good job sharpening dull end mills
2) How long does it take.

Keep us updated.

Did you keep that Monoset you had a while back? I have one, its far
more versatile for making custom tools. IMHO, custom cutters is the
reason to have tool grinding abilty.

I've done a whole bunch of end mill re-sharp. its slow work, no way
around that. I'm a cheap skate, but i don't work that cheap. For
standard end mills, just watch fleabay for deals. As my son says,
there must be thousands of machinists walking top quality stuff home
from their job and taking what they can get.

Karl

I sold that Monoset for $2,500.

The buyer showed up in a full suit, with a hat that had a feather in
it.

In addition, he has two smoking hot daughters with him, who helped
with loading of this monoset.

Regarding end mills, I agree with you, more or less. It is cheaper to
buy new end mills, or buy them at auctions, for cash, or have Bob
sharpen my endmills.

Bob is the guy who does T&C grinding and who sold me my warehouse
building. He could not own this building due to real estate taxes. His
2011 tax was raised to $49,000 PER YEAR, and the only thing he could
do is sell the building for whatever he could get. He sold it to me,
and due to purchase price, my real estate tax was lowered to $21k per
year.

He was already behind on taxes and could do nothing.

I strongly feel that it is unfair, but at least I am on the better
side of this unfairness.