Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

On 4/16/2012 11:19 AM, Duesenberg wrote:
On 4/16/2012 10:11 AM, Peter wrote:
On 4/15/2012 11:33 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
in terms of energy savings, privacy, fire risk, and, most importantly,
health ramifications. Thank You.

No matter how hard the utilities try to convince the consumer that it is
for their advantage, the bottom line is that the power companies
wouldn't be doing it if it did not result in higher profits for them. At
this time in our history, when social and economic issues require many
families to work more hours/week out of the home, their discretionary
timing for the use of power is much lower than it was 20+ years ago. If
no one is home, no one is going to run the high wattage stuff
unattended. You need to cook, wash, etc. when you have the available
time. Also, lots of folks are willing to spend hundreds of $$/month on
cable/wireless services and/or convenience food and may not be worried
about the inconvenience they might have to endure to save $20-50/mo on
their electric bill. I'm very skeptical that anyone other than the
executives and primary shareholders of the utilities will obtain
tangible benefits after the changeover.

Do you beleive that consumers for the last 30 or 40 years have been
paying a fair price for energy costs? I tend to think it's been too low
for too long.

You sound like the so called rich people who claim they should be paying
more taxes. There has never been a law against them writing
a check to the IRS for more money to be donated to the government.
If YOU want to pay more for YOUR energy. Write a letter to the utility
providing YOU with energy and include a check for whatever amount YOU
wish and tell them to use YOUR money for whatever and tell them YOU
wish to pay a higher price. If YOU want to pay more for electricity
for instance, YOU can demand that YOU have YOUR rate changed to the
commercial rate which in my area is higher than the rate for homes.
Don't tell ME that I need to pay more, YOU can spend YOUR money any
way YOU want. ^_^

TDD