Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18788 Ignoramus18788 is offline

Default SCORE!

On 2012-05-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus18788 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, I am very interested, myself, as to

1) Whether one can do a good job sharpening dull end mills
2) How long does it take.

Keep us updated.

Well, I committed to the payment, so I guess I'll be learning to do it!

I'll keep you informed.

From one friend, he estimates less than five minutes to 'tune up' a
slightly-dulled 3/4" 4-flute bit that is not chipped. I will find out.

I will have to invest in a measuring device to handle 3-flute bits, or
I'll have to work up the math to figure the new o.d. with a micrometer
after the flutes have been ground.

Keep us posted. End mills seem to be very cheap at Enco. Say, a 2
flute 1/2 end mill is $9.99, double ended. With carbide, though,
economies would be substantial.