Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Small engine help

stryped wrote:
On May 4, 2:21 pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/4/2012 1:48 PM, stryped wrote:

Here is the manual.http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec..._24_690_07.pdf
I looked at the plastic gear before assemply and it looked intact. Is
there a way to tell if it is internal or external or even the govener
at all without taking it apart?

Nicely done manual...

Did you note the reassembly to rotate the governor cross shaft and
ensure it stayed in position while setting camshaft position? I'd guess
that's one place things could have gone south.

As for outside/inside, doublecheck the linkage adjustments and spring
locations -- as noted in my earlier note, just a small boo-boo there can
have major ramifications.

I have a sinking feeling you're tearing this puppy down again...

--

Yes, I think it basically said to rotate the shaft so it was touching
the cylinder. I believe I did that.

Will disconnecting the govenor on the outside entirely cure the high
idle and if so I can pretty much conclude that the govenor is the
cause?

Actually disconnecting it will cause it to rev out of control. The
governor is what stops it from revving up.

By the way, I adjusted the govener to no avail. However, looking in
that manual I found conflicting info on adjusting it. To make a long
story short one section said to turn the screw clockwise and another
counterclockwise if I am reading it correctly. I turned it
counterclockwise but it seemed as far as it would go and did not turn.

--
Steve W.