Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Small engine help

stryped wrote:
I dont know where to turn. I have a kohler 20 horse CV 624 motor from
a lawn mower. The rod broke and I replaced it. It now startes but revs
so high immediately I have to shut it down because I am afraid it will
blow up. I adjust the idle screw and it did fine for a minute then
went bacl to the high idle. I adjusted the govenor per the manual and
this did not help.

Any advice? I tried to not disturn the internal govenor when I tool
the old rod out. It looked like a plastic gear of some sort. To be
honest,k I dont 100% understand how the govenor works at least the
internal portion.

The govenor and idleing worked fine before I replaced the broken rod.

I am at a loss. I appreciate any help!

Sounds like the fork on the governor gear has come loose and it's not
working now. You will have to pull it back apart and reset it.

Yes it is a plastic gear.

The plastic gear turns a small shaft with weights on it. The weights in
turn move a collar which the fork rides on and that turns the shaft that
comes out of the engine.

--
Steve W.