Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Small engine help

On May 4, 11:23*am, stryped wrote:
I dont know where to turn. I have a kohler 20 horse CV 624 motor from
a lawn mower. The rod broke and I replaced it. It now startes but revs
so high immediately I have to shut it down because I am afraid it will
blow up. I adjust the idle screw and it did fine for a minute then
went bacl to the high idle. I adjusted the govenor per the manual and
this did not help.

Any advice? I tried to not disturn the internal govenor when I tool
the old rod out. It looked like a plastic gear of some sort. To be
honest,k I dont 100% understand how the govenor works at least the
internal portion.

The govenor and idleing worked fine before I replaced the broken rod.

I am at a loss. I appreciate any help!

The mechanical governor looks similar to the one on my Honda mower.
The plunger on the plastic geared governor pushes on an internal lever
inside the engine. That lever turns a shaft that comes out of the
engine and rotates the external governor lever arm on the outside of
the engine. The internal governor lever arm is fixed to the shaft,
but the external one clamps on and can be rotated. It’s important
that it’s clamped in the right position or the internal governor lever
won’t make contact with the plunger. You might have to reset and re-
clamp the external governor lever arm so that the internal lever makes
contact with the plunger. Otherwise the governor won’t do its job.

Next time, etch or scratch a line on the shaft and the external lever
so that you’ll know the right position upon reassembling the engine.
I’ve also found that it sometimes helps to take pictures of carburetor
linkages with my digital camera before taking apart unfamiliar things.