Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine help

stryped wrote:
Will disconnecting the govenor on the outside entirely cure the high
idle and if so I can pretty much conclude that the govenor is the
cause?

What you have here is that the engine is _not_ idling. Idling is when
the throttle butterfly is closed. Your engine is running with it wide open.

The basic speed mechanism is that the speed control lever pulls on a
spring which is attached to the carb throttle. More spring tension at
higher settings. The governor pulls back on the throttle. The engine
runs at the balance point of these 2 forces (governor & spring). (I
know dpb said it was the other way around, but I've never seen one that
worked that way.)

In your case, the governor is not pulling back and the spring is pulling
the throttle wide open. Disconnecting the governor will not tell you
anything.

Bob