Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Small engine help

On 5/4/2012 11:23 AM, stryped wrote:
I dont know where to turn. I have a kohler 20 horse CV 624 motor from
a lawn mower. The rod broke and I replaced it. It now startes but revs
so high immediately I have to shut it down because I am afraid it will
blow up. I adjust the idle screw and it did fine for a minute then
went bacl to the high idle. I adjusted the govenor per the manual and
this did not help.

Any advice? I tried to not disturn the internal govenor when I tool
the old rod out. It looked like a plastic gear of some sort. To be
honest,k I dont 100% understand how the govenor works at least the
internal portion.

The govenor and idleing worked fine before I replaced the broken rod.

I am at a loss. I appreciate any help!

Not fully cognizant of the particulars of that engine but I'd guess
you're missing or misplaced the throttle return spring and instead of
holding the throttle position towards the closed position you're forcing
it full bore on and thereby defeating the governor.

I did it once on a B&S here...between dis- and re-assembly forget the
exact throttle linkage and the spring looked like it naturally went
right there and so...