Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Removing film cables from connector from Lumix digital camera.

David Farber wrote:
mike wrote:
On 5/2/2012 4:40 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"David wrote in message
David wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:14:12 -0700, "Ted Ladewski"
wrote:

Trying to remove the film cables from this pc board. There
doesn't seem to be anything obvious that will release the
connector. Can it be as simple as pulling very hard? Any other
ideas?
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...oard-Lumix.jpg

Thanks for your help.

This looks similar to connectors on laptops - not surprisingly.
The cable is probably clamped in place and to release the clamp
the very ends of the connector will move a little bit towards the
cable. This releases the clamp and the cable will slide out
easily. Be gentle, the plastic is not strong! (Dont ask how I
know!!!). David

Hi David,

I am familiar with those connectors that use a sliding mechanism to
clamp the cable in place. Those have been around forever. It
doesn't seem to be designed like that. I've pushed and pulled
gently in every direction and if it isn't one solid piece, I can't
figure it out how to unlock it. --

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Have a trawl through the Youtube videos on digital camera repair,
chances are there is footage of someone extracting a cable from the
same design of connector.

Gareth.

there are hinged clamps that you need to flip up.
there are sliding clamps that you need to slide out.
If you get them mixed up, you break the connector.
There are at least two types that don't have a clamp.
One has a thicker backing plastic that sticks out far enough to give
you something to push on when reinserting it.
Another is low insertion force and does not have the backing plastic.
You reinsert it by grabbing the two tabs and gently rocking it into
place. You might want to quietly chant a prayer to your favorite
deity while you do it.

The pix doesn't have enough resolution to tell, but the slots in the
top piece and the parting line in the top corners and the metal parts
suggest that the top section might slide back.

In any case, you DO NOT want to kink the cable.

It becomes pretty obvious the second time you do it. ;-)

I decided that there was no way that this clamp had any movable parts
in it. I grabbed the cable and rocked it back and forth firmly, but
not too hard, and it came out. Here is what the camera looked like
disassembled.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...sassembled.jpg

You can see that there are three receptacles on the pc board. It was
very tricky putting the cables back in (two for the lens, one for the
monitor). Usually, the cables have some reinforcement on the end that
you can grab onto and then push so it seats firmly in the socket. I
gave up trying to do that. This is the thinnest cable I've ever
worked with. However, there was the slightest of ridges at the border
between the lightly colored part of the cable and where the exposed
terminals begin. That allowed me get some advantage. I lined up the
cable with the socket and used the pc board to support it. That was
important because the only way to slide it in was to stick my two
thumbnails on either side of the cable where the ridge was and push
it in little by little. After about four attempts I finally got the
monitor to come on but the video was staticky. I then used the same
trick on the cable from the lens assembly and then the picture was
normal. Then, after reassembly of the rest of the unit, it powered up
with no more zoom error. I guess it was just one of those things you
take apart, put it back together and we'll see how long it works.
Thanks for all your replies.

One more picture of the pc board.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...d-close-up.jpg

--