Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Milling Tool Steel

Tom Gardner Inscribed thus:

On 5/1/2012 12:44 PM, Baron wrote:
Bill Martin Inscribed thus:

On 04/30/2012 09:55 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:23:55 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I put a collet holder chuck in the noname mill drill a while back
and it
works great. A lot faster and easier than constantly tightening
and
loosening the drawbar whenever I change anything. Its got a nice
collet closer wrench and a couple flats on the body that I can
throw a regualr
wrench on to tighten and loosen quickly and easily. I like it so
much I
bought a similar one for the RF30. It works pretty good, but
there are
no flats on the body for a wrench. That means I still have to
flip the top and hold the pulley when tightening up a collet. Its
tight enough for the small stuff, but when I was doing some heavy
(for me) face milling with a 1" end mill I found that it seemed to
walk up in the
collet. Holding the pulley I really have no way to judge how
tight I am making the collet, so I figured I'ld mill a couple
flats body of the collet chuck so I can use a wrench like the one
in the smaller mill
drill. (never had a mill move in that one) Any suggestions?

I mean besides going back to using the straight R8 collets.
Obviously
I'll have to use them to mill my flats, but then... For the most
part the convenience of using the collet chuck is a HUGE time
saver.

That part doesn't need to be hardened to a fair-thee-well, so it
may not
be "tool steel" per se. Can you file it? If so it's not that hard
and,
you should be able to mill it with HSS. If a file skates, or if
you don't have a rigid enough machine to make it work, can you get
at it with
a bench grinder? Can you disassemble the thing and _then_ get at
it with a bench grinder (this would relieve any anxiety about
getting grit into the works).

You don't really need flats -- it may be easier to get a nice hard
drill bit and make a few holes, then make a matching wrench (I
don't know what you call it, but it would be one with a
semicircular gullet and a reasonably hard pin that matches the
diameter of the hole).

I think that fits the def. of "spanner" wrench.

bill

Try "Pin Wrench"

No-NO-NO! The proper name is "Doohickey Wrench With A Tit On The End"

Ah right ! :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.