Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Planning a Shed to Office conversion (with a new shed). Need some advice

wrote:

A little side though, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the official
planning regs information for shed-type structures says that the
structure either has to be 1 metre from the boundary, or constructed of
substantially non-combustible materials.

Technically true but go look around your roads - you will see it widely
disregarded.

Some common sense is worth applying - if the shed is next to a boundary and
next to someone's house, it would be a bit off to add to the risk of burning
their house down.

OTOH if the shed is down the bottom of the garden, the risk is mostly to the
fence (and maybe their shed). If their "shed" in this context is a workshop
full of expensive machinery, then be careful - if it's just full of
gardening tools, then low risk. Of course, if their shed sets your expensive
home-office on fire with all your paperwork and computers....

My take on this all is ignore if it's not next to their house and you do not
mind (too much) if the council tell you to move your shed.

If moving would be unfeasible, then I would tend to stick to the regs...

None of this is legally sound advice of course...