Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Grohe Rapido-T Plumbing Assistance Required!

In article , Kevin
Holohan scribeth thus
On 30/04/2012 02:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2012 11:50, Kevin Holohan wrote:

One thing grohe have used is a rubber ring on the sealing plug which I
have removed to fit the coupler. Is this the way to go? If it is I can't
see anything suitable in either the screwfix or toolstation catalogues.

Any other pointers before I pay somebody with more experience than I to
fix my problem?

Shower photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/kev.hol...r=0&feat=direc

tlink

(http://bit.ly/IdKQvz if the above wrap is broken)

Coupling I'm using:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/male-coupl...equestid=86095

I assume its this one:

http://cdn08.grohe.com/lib/1/tpi/1375383.pdf

It looks like the main difficulty you will have is getting a parallel
threaded coupler to seal in a parallel socket. Usually these will have a
fibre or rubber O ring at that makes the final seal between the two flat
surfaces (the top of the socket, and the flange on the coupling) when
done up tight. If you have a rubber O ring hat came on the sealing plug,
then use that round the coupler.

You can get a seal on parallel threads with PTFE, but it takes a
surprisingly large amount of it.

Alternatively, use a taper fitting such as:

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/140.asp#6685

That will get a proper seal on the threads with PTFE (or Fernox LS-X)

I spoke to Grohe technical. They say I'm the first person to report this
issue and to just use more tape.

Thats the stage when my bull**** indicator would start clanging
loudly!...

So your the only one eh?, doubt it somehow..

I'll get some taper fittings just in case. Should I be using tape with
that type of fitting (or non at all, or say the Fernox)?

--
Tony Sayer