View Single Post
  #15   Report Post  

A little side though, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the official planning regs information for shed-type structures says that the structure either has to be 1 metre from the boundary, or constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

That's a pretty loose statement as the defenition of non-combustible materials just says "(e.g bricks, masonary, etc)". I did a bit of digging and found a post by a member of the Dorset planning office who seems to imply that as long as the structure is not using a clay / concrete tiled roof, it can be made from timber and be a non-combustible material.

Interpretation of 'non-combustible material' - dorsetforyou.com

I hate how they have the planning regs so vague! I was under the impression that ALL structures must be 1 metre away but this makes me doubt that now.

it's not a major issue either way as I want a gap around the edge to:
A) Stop the neighbours cat hopping over the fence and ripping up the felt (the shed that I'll be tearing down has been re-felted 3 times in 6 years due to the damn cat!)

B) Allow access to the sides to treat the wood, and to possibly add a solar-battery box hidden around the back at a later date. This will be for the extractor fan.

Oh and John - Yes, it was 'LogLap' I was writing it on the iPad and the damn autocorrect must have changed it!