Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Removing film cables from connector from Lumix digital camera.

"David Farber" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
If the white connector is soldered to the PC board, then it follows
(as night the day) that the cable must force-fitted to the connector.
(This is not uncommon.) Otherwise, the /cable/ would be soldered to
the board (not the connector), right?

Notice the ears? They're almost certainly holding points for pulling
out the cable. Grab them, and pull gently.

If this doesn't work, I will deny ever giving you advice. In fact, I
am disclaiming this post, a priori.

Hi William,

I actually posted this message trying to help fix my friend's Lumix
DMC-FH20 camera. When the camera is powered on, the lens cycles in and out
and subsequently it displays a zoom error on the screen and that's about
as far as you can go. When it's powered off, the lens retracts, then it
extends, and the power goes off. So unless you take the battery out while
the lens is retracted, the lens will be extended when powered off. Since
the lens seems to be opening and closing fully, I thought I would see if I
could find something obvious within the mechanism. Anyway, did you mean to
say that I should hold onto the ears and pull the cable or hold onto the
ears and pull something on the connector? That flex cable is extremely
thin and I don't think it would take much force to damage it.

Just for reference sake, here is the link to the photo.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...oard-Lumix.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

David, the white bit almost certainly moves somehow. Probably hinges
upwards, or hinges upwards after moving it back towards the ribbon cable.
I would NOT just try and pull the cable out.

The simple fact that one part of the connector is white and the other black,
means they are two separate parts and have been fitted together to clamp the
cable in place.
Any push in connector would go into a single moulding.

Gareth.