Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default ceiling rose wiring

Andytaylor1963 wrote:

Can any one help please? I am attempting to install a new ceiling light
in a single switched single light configuration in our downstairs
toilet. I dismantled the old light and re-wired the new light in excatly
the same configuration as the old one. There are 2 black wires, one red
wire and one earth wire. I have established that the red is the switched
live by testing with a circuit tester. When the light is switched on the
neutral terminal becomes live when a bulb is inserted so the circuit is
completing itself but the bulb stubbornly refuses to light up. I have
exchanged the light unit thinking it may be faulty bu to no avail. The
red is insterted in the "L" part of the block and the blacks are
inserted in the "N" part of the block. The house earth is attached to
the light fitting earth correctly so I am now at a loss. Help
please...... Thanks

You have something wrong there.

L should be the black wire, White wire goes to N.

As for the Red wire? That sounds like you have a three way switch?

three way switches normally use 3 wire with ground. That would be the
Black, white and red + ground wire.

In all cases, the white wire is (N) the neutral.

The black/Red is considered L in your case.

If you don't have a white wire, you better check a little closer.

I suppose you could be using 2 leads of romix, It isn't unheard of
but does cost more. In which case, you then wouldn't have a red wire but
2 black wires and still a white wire.

Jamie