Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12v vs 115v hydraulic power units and hydraulic semi trailers

Ignoramus25949 wrote:

I have a 12v hydraulic power unit similar to this one:

http://goo.gl/UpLJG

The application (what I am trying to accomplish) is to operate this
hydraulic beavertail semi trailer:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Trailking/Trailking-0009.jpg

When OI think about using this pump, I become concerned that it is
operated by a starter-type 12v motor and is desighed for pick-up truck
liftgates or snowplows, that is, very intermittent duty.

The motor may look similar to a car starter, but is designed for
hydraulic pump service. You'd certainly get in trouble using it
for real continuous duty, but I'd think running it for several minutes
would not cause overheating.

Does your semi have a 12 V electrical system? Over the road semis
usually have a 24 V system, but intra-city semis can have a 12 V system.

I'd think having to haul an AC generator around would just make everything
more complicated.

Jon