Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Milling Tool Steel

I put a collet holder chuck in the noname mill drill a while back and
it works great. A lot faster and easier than constantly tightening
and loosening the drawbar whenever I change anything. Its got a nice
collet closer wrench and a couple flats on the body that I can throw a
regualr wrench on to tighten and loosen quickly and easily. I like it
so much I bought a similar one for the RF30. It works pretty good,
but there are no flats on the body for a wrench. That means I still
have to flip the top and hold the pulley when tightening up a collet.
Its tight enough for the small stuff, but when I was doing some heavy
(for me) face milling with a 1" end mill I found that it seemed to
walk up in the collet. Holding the pulley I really have no way to
judge how tight I am making the collet, so I figured I'ld mill a
couple flats body of the collet chuck so I can use a wrench like the
one in the smaller mill drill. (never had a mill move in that one)
Any suggestions?

I mean besides going back to using the straight R8 collets. Obviously
I'll have to use them to mill my flats, but then... For the most part
the convenience of using the collet chuck is a HUGE time saver.