Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default types of emulsion paint

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 05:08:21 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

All emulsions survive wipe cleaning, vinyl ones have a smoother
surface than cheapo chalkier finish ones, so are a good bit easier to
clean, thus more durable if cleaned. Cheapie ultramatt ones also get
dirtier quicker.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did once have some matt paint that
got scuffed and when I tried to wipe it clean, the paint came off with
the dirt on the cloth! I don't know what make that was; it was on the
walls when I moved into the house. After that I always bought tins
that said "wipeable".

A brand I've had decent results with. Dulux or Leyland mainly, a lot
of people also like Crown. Cheapo stuff is a false economy, after a
year it looks bad and needs redoing.

I used to use Crown but I had problems with their emulsions peeling.
Perhaps that wasn't the fault of the paint but a flaw in the
preparation? I've used Dulux since then, which I think is generally
recommended by this group, and (with the exception of their water
based gloss) have not had any problems.