Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default OT Survey

On 4/29/2012 6:49 AM, dadiOH wrote:
The log house which my wife wound up with after her mother died - and into
which we have been pouring money, lo, these many months - is now ready to
sell or rent. Given the market, it is most likely to be rented. I have
only rented two unfurnished apartments in my life and that was years ago.

The first was totally bare...no stove, no fridge, no drapes, no nothing.

The second had drapes - rather nice ones - and a stove but no fridge.

Having no experience as either a renter or landlord, I would appreciate
knowing what you would expect if you were looking to rent an unfurnished
house.

Drapes?
Stove?
Microwave?
Dishwasher?
Fridge?
Washer& dryer?
Washer and dryer hookups only?
Anything else?

A lot would depend on location, comparable homes, whom you expect to
rent to....drapes, washer and dryer for a couple of kids just out of
college may be a negative...they would take down the drapes, toss 'em in
a box and put up blinds. Fridge...newbie leaves spoiled meat in the
fridge and ruins it. Stackable washer/dryer great for starter; hookup
for family with assets.

Forget drapes...they are very expensive, if decent, and easy to damage.
Install nice blinds...everyone needs window coverings and it can be a
major expense if they need to furnish their own. If they are long-term
and want drapes, offer to have rods installed. I would not want to buy
drapes for a rental home to get windows covered.

What to expect in a rental...fridge, range, (lucky to get washer and
dryer). Anyone can bring their own microwave, and I get along fine
without a dishwasher. Again, it depends...is this a FAMILY home, with 3
br? Furnish adequately for a family of four or five. One br
efficiency, then furnish for someone on the move.

Log home???!!!!

I'd also appreciate knowing if you would expect to do any of these yourself.
Change air filters? Buy them?

Sure.
Maintain salt level in water softener? Buy the salt?

Have it delivered?
Cut the grass?

Hire someone unless renter offers to do it for a discount.
What other maintenance or repair?

Arrange with local plumber and electrician to be available for
emergencies unless you can do it 24/7....if the water heater or furnace
go while you are on vacation, etc.

Thanks for your time

If charging a security deposit and/or cleaning deposit, state in the
lease what is required to get it back. Another post in the thread
mentioned security deposits, and it can be a bear...Michigan, from
personal experience, has very precise requirements about notice to
renter that the s.d. will be forfeited, terms for giving notice of same,
blah, blah, blah. Have an attorney draw up lease and advise re further
plans.

Pouring money into the home? Then sell it. Of course, if it is a
high-end rental, and you can screen renters to your satisfaction, then
eliminate all who have not remained in previous rental at least two
years. My brother lived in the same rental building 65 years; landlord
said he wished he could have been his tenant another 65.

I have rented, in my very young days, from some real clowns. Laws are a
bit better now. In my last rental, I painted/caulked the paintable
parts of the house, repaired badly installed doors, took care of
landscaping, etc.