Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT Survey

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:49:41 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

The log house which my wife wound up with after her mother died - and into
which we have been pouring money, lo, these many months - is now ready to
sell or rent. Given the market, it is most likely to be rented. I have
only rented two unfurnished apartments in my life and that was years ago.

The first was totally bare...no stove, no fridge, no drapes, no nothing.

The second had drapes - rather nice ones - and a stove but no fridge.

Having no experience as either a renter or landlord, I would appreciate
knowing what you would expect if you were looking to rent an unfurnished
house.

Drapes?
Stove?
Microwave?
Dishwasher?
Fridge?
Washer & dryer?
Washer and dryer hookups only?
Anything else?

I'd also appreciate knowing if you would expect to do any of these yourself.
Change air filters? Buy them?
Maintain salt level in water softener? Buy the salt?
Cut the grass?
What other maintenance or repair?

Thanks for your time

Kitchen appliances are a must. You may find that, at least some, are required
by law. Washer and dryer hookups are a nice bonus. If you can put them in
easily, do it. It may sell the place.

Maintenance, probably not. Air filters? Well, if they're paying the utility
bills (highly recommended) let them buy the filters. Cut the grass, yes, you
can ask the tenant to do that but expect it to weed out some potential
renters. Salt is a tough one. If they don't maintain it, they'll have hard
water but I don't see how you can force the issue.

Drapes, at least put in *good* curtain rods. You don't want each tenant
drilling holes to mount their own. Also specify in the lease that they're not
to hang their own. I've found that many rentals get around this with blinds.
They're expensive and can be damaged, but that's what the security deposit is
for. Put it in the lease and that you will make sure they're clean on
move-out. If you provide the drapes, expect to have to clean them between
each tenant.

If possible, as part of the lease, or an addendum, have a list of charges for
cleaning the apartment. There are some things you probably can't do,
depending on your jurisdiction, but the kitchen should be clean (including the
oven), as should the bathroom. The floors should be "swept clean" (vacuumed).