Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default OT Survey

On 4/29/2012 8:33 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

Having no experience as either a renter or landlord, I would appreciate
knowing what you would expect if you were looking to rent an unfurnished
house.

Drapes?

No, but white mini-blinds on all appropriate windows. I'll choose
my own drapes.

Stove?

Must have.

Microwave?

Only if its brand new or part of a built-in custom cabinet. I
really don't want someone's used food particles!

Dishwasher?

Yes, if the space permits.

Fridge?

Yes. Renters don't usually have any big appliances.

Washer& dryer?

Yes, or at least hook-ups.

Washer and dryer hookups only?

Add extra $50/mo. for a W/D

Anything else?

I'd also appreciate knowing if you would expect to do any of these yourself.
Change air filters? Buy them?

Insist the renter change the filters on a regular basis, that you
will provide. It will be good for your A/C unit and good for
their health and electricity bill. Just leave a case in the
closet.

Make sure they have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen (but not
over the stove!). Verify the fire extinguisher is charged every
year, minimum. Put a clause in the lease that if they have to use
it, or notice the gauge low to notify you for an immediate
replacement. That will keep your ass covered. Of course, have a
lawyer look at/draft your lease papers, I am not a lawyer.

Install smoke detectors in each bedroom, outside each sleeping
area, and at least one on each floor if bi-level. Provide smoke
detector battery changes and testing on-schedule according to the
manufacturers instructions.

Maintain salt level in water softener? Buy the salt?

Uh-oh. That is not something the average Joe may want to mess
with. Maybe you better do that yourself, how often does it need
it?

Cut the grass?

You buy the mower, and throw in the washer& dryer and I will cut
the grass.

What other maintenance or repair?

Most renters are going to expect you to have a plumber on the
doorstep within hours if water is a problem. If the A/C or heat
breaks, same thing, I want it back working that day or the
absolute soonest as possible. Don't be the cheap landlord that
takes days to call for estimates, hires low-ball or "questionable"
contractors, or delays problems. Remember, you are the business
and the renter is your *customer*. If you think it's okay to make
them sweat it out for two or three 100° summer days while you wait
for the weekend to fix the A/C yourself, you are not a landlord -
you'll be a slumlord! Familiarize yourself with 'renters rights',
if you fail to perform you could wind up paying way more in the
end. A bad landlord is just as bad as a lousy tenant.

Find a renter that will treat the home as if it were his own, and
you maintain it with quality parts and labor. When interviewing
folks, listen for "I'll plant a shrub here" or "I can build my
workshop back here"; indicators of long-term interest.

Where is it? I'm looking for one in the Houston area here pretty
soon.

Good post but I'd want it "spelled out" about landscaping and any long
term changes like sheds. I had the landlord from hell but I'll admit I
made mistakes too. Good communication and a friendly rapport is so
important with long term renters. The care of the yard can become a very
continuous issue because the landlord almost always pays for the water.

Your comment about quick (and good) repairs is very important too.

My ex-landlord must have been sued because he was always concerned about
lawsuits. After my last renting experience I'd never rent again or
become a landlord. My ex-landlord turned me into a homeowner so I guess
he deserves my gratitude. Now I'm sitting on a pile of equity.