Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT Survey

dadiOH wrote:

Having no experience as either a renter or landlord, I would
appreciate knowing what you would expect if you were looking to rent
an unfurnished house.

I haven't rented in 30 years, but I do know people who play renters on TV.
Here's my take...

Drapes? - Not necessary.

Stove? - Yes. In fact, I think it would be hard to rent without one.

Microwave? - Nope - That's a small appliance. Renter brings their own.

Dishwasher? - Not really necessary, but certainly desireable.

Fridge? - Yup - just like a stove.

Washer & dryer? Like a dishwasher - not really necessary, but
desireable.

Washer and dryer hookups only? If you're not going to include a washer
and dryer, it's probably better for you to provide the hookups so that a
"talented" renter doesn't take it upon himself to DIY that job.

Anything else? - Nothing else comes to mind.

I'd also appreciate knowing if you would expect to do any of these
yourself.

Change air filters? I have done this kind of thing in the past, but I
don't know how most renters would really feel about it. In the end, it's
probably owner and not renter responsibility.

Buy them? - Owner's responsibility.

Maintain salt level in water softener? Buy the salt? - Owner's
responsibility on both counts.

Cut the grass? - In a house-for-rent situation like yours, I would think
the lawn mowing is the renter's responsibility. It always was when I was
renting years ago. So was snow shoveling, plowing, etc.

What other maintenance or repair? For the most part, maintenance and
repair are all the responsibility of the owner, not the renter. That
might even be in your best interest, depending of the tenant.

--

-Mike-