Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default types of emulsion paint

NT wrote:

On Apr 28, 3:47 pm, alamaison wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:31:58 PM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:09 pm, alamaison wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53:20 AM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:41 pm, alamaison wrote:

Yes, that's a good way to prime bare plaster. But this plaster
has to have sat around for 4 to 6 weeks to be dry first. The
special new

Not IME. Why do you think thats the case? I dont do much painting
of new plaster, but what I have has gone fine. I've just waited
till the surface is no more than damp, so the emulsion can dry.

Because everything I've read on the topic has warned me that painting
it too soon leads to efflorescence and mould.

Define too soon.

Depends on ambient temperature etc. but generally 4 - 6 weeks.

I've not waited anywhere near that long.

My observations have been:

Fresh skim on old base coat - couple of days for 90%, with lingering patches
usually in the corners for a couple more days.

Fresh skim on fresh base coat - over a week but less than 2.

The above on a section of new brickwork which was laid a few days prior
using damped bricks - about 2-3 weeks to dry. This was in autumn, but with
warm conditions, no extra heating.

--
Tim Watts