Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default types of emulsion paint

On Apr 28, 3:47*pm, alamaison wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2012 3:31:58 PM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:09*pm, alamaison wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:53:20 AM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:41*pm, alamaison wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 6:42:43 PM UTC+1, NT wrote:
On Apr 27, 5:25*pm, alamaison wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2012 1:08:21 PM UTC+1, NT wrote:

PS all emulsions let water vapour through, and can be put on before a
new wall is fully dry.

Are you sure about this? *All books I've read on the topic as well as some online sources (say,http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...newplaster.htm, for example) say only to do this with special paint such as Wickes New Plaster Emulsion or Dulux Supermatt.

Well, my standard method of painting bare surfaces is to wet it, give
it 5 mins to soak in, then paint without diluting. Its always worked
fine, long as well as short term.

Yes, that's a good way to prime bare plaster. *But this plaster has to
have sat around for 4 to 6 weeks to be dry first. *The special new

Not IME. Why do you think thats the case? I dont do much painting of
new plaster, but what I have has gone fine. I've just waited till the
surface is no more than damp, so the emulsion can dry.

Because everything I've read on the topic has warned me that painting it too soon leads to efflorescence and mould.

Define too soon.

Depends on ambient temperature etc. but generally 4 - 6 weeks.

I've not waited anywhere near that long.

NT