Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default types of emulsion paint

On Apr 26, 3:37*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I went to Wickes to buy some cheap emulsion to dilute 50:50 to make a
mist coat to seal some plaster. I was bewildered by the number of
different types of emulsion they had.

There was trade emulsion and trade vinyl emulsion. Is the difference
between these two that the vinyl version is wipeable but the non-vinyl
is not? Or isn't it as simple as that?

All emulsions survive wipe cleaning, vinyl ones have a smoother
surface than cheapo chalkier finish ones, so are a good bit easier to
clean, thus more durable if cleaned. Cheapie ultramatt ones also get
dirtier quicker.

There was also an "emulsion for plaster". I don't remember what the
tin said now but I imagine you can paint direct onto plaster without
priming it first? I wonder if you need more than one coat? I wasn't
really looking to paint the wall white; I would have been happy with a
wishy washy finish just to stop the dust brushing off but it could
have been useful, I suppose.

All emulsion is good for plaster. When painting new plaster you can
dilute the paint, but as someone mentioned the rsult is some of the
glue going into the plaster, leaving the paint weakened. Or you can
dampen the plaster and paint emulsion on undiluted.

What would you have bought?

A brand I've had decent results with. Dulux or Leyland mainly, a lot
of people also like Crown. Cheapo stuff is a false economy, after a
year it looks bad and needs redoing.

I notice they said to dilute with 10% water,. I suppose that helps if
you are a tradesman that you could get 11 tins out of 10 but I would
be nervous about diluting one batch more than another and getting an
inconsistent finish!

Dilution makes no difference to finish. Its to help it bond to dry
plaster.

On a totally different point, may I ask what eggshell is? I assumed it
was just a finish halfway between matt and satin but a recent post

yes

here suggested it was best for bathrooms and kitchens, so is it for
some reason a more durable finish?

Its a compromise between the good looks of matt and the easy
cleanability of gloss, hence its use in bathrooms etc.

Where do bathroom and kitchen paints fit into the equation? Are they
just vinyl emulsions?

added mould inhibitors.

TIA

PS all emulsions let water vapour through, and can be put on before a
new wall is fully dry. But the surface needs to be able to dry, as
emulsions only set by drying, and paint staying wet is not good.

NT