Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default types of emulsion paint

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:28:53 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

IMO thinning water based paint is never a good idea. It "breaks" the
emulsion so that some of the paint's properties are lost. Best to just
buy a paint that isn't as thick as custard to start with, which is often
the own label stuff in a tub.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why do they recommend
you dilute it with 10% water?

I can see the advantage for the merchant if you had to dilute it say
50:50: the tins would be smaller and lighter, which means they could
fit twice as many on a lorry and halve their transport costs. But is
it really worth it for 10%?

Wouldn't it also be less hassle for a tradesman to open a tin and
start painting rather than have to walk across the house to get some
water and spend time mixing the paint first?