Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas Lathe

On 2012-04-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I was offered an Atlas lathe the other day for $50. The owner said
that there were two damaged gears. He is supposed to give me more
information next week. Comments?

He finally told me it is supposed to be 10" * 36".

O.K. I think that one could be obtained with a quick-change
gearbox for threading, or the basket-of-gears change gears approach. I
prefer the former, because it makes it more likely that speeds will be
changed as appropriate for turning instead of leaving it at the last
thread pitch setting used because of the mess and pain of building the
right gear train for each application.

Which gears are damaged is important. It is easy to replace the
change gears on the basket-of-gears type, somewhat more difficult on
the quick change, and quite expensive to fix if it happens to be the
bull gear and back gear.

But the price sounds good -- assuming that the ways are not
badly worn, even if the Bull gear and back gear are damaged. If it is
basket-of-gears, you hope that most of the change gears are still around
and included. You may have to haunt eBay to find some replacements.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564