Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Overhead welding on a semi trailer

"Ignoramus18965" wrote in message
I have a "beavertail double drop deck semi trailer":

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Trailking/

that needs some work done on its very tail end:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Trailking...-0010.jpg.html

Some of it would involve "Overhead" welding, operating from below the
weld.

What is the easiest way to do it correctly. These would be welds that
need to hold up when a forklift or a metal tracked vehicle drives over
that tail.

We have solid mig wire and E71T flux cored.

Thanks

I would do it overhead with 7018. Even if you have to hire a guy for a
couple of days. Test him first.

Contrary to what you would think, I find when welding overhead, you have to
INCREASE the wire speed. It keeps the blob from running back down the wire.

Be wary of rust and corrosion that may be hidden.

It's tricky. It's fun. Why don't you just do it? You're pretty good with
7018........... And don't forget those leathers. I still have scars from
overhead. The night sweats are getting better, too ......... ;-)

Steve