Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Multi-dedent pot movement called generically?

N_Cook wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
Warwick amps like to use large heavy brass knobs under mirror finish.

They
must have had problems with biased resonance/ratcheting and controls
turning, as they have used domestic stereo pots with that
semi-locking/detenting for vol and gain, although only one track used in
each

clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one I saw was in an
early 1980s Concept receiver. It was made by Alps and the replacement cost
was very high.

I've just converted a standard mono sub-min Alpha pot to a "clicky" dedent
form ,for a Warwick. The other rotary controls in there have smaller metal
knobs so there are normal mono pots on those. Before writing up another tips
note, I was after a generic name for them

I thought it was dedent as it involved dents , into which a sprung loaded
ball dropped into

that's what the Alps ones I saw were. Those old stereos were heavy and had
large producing knobs, so it wasn't too hard to break off the shaft of the
pots where the slot and splines were cut.

new volume knobs really feel crappy, like plastic slathered in grease,
which they are. Tuning knobs with the giant flywheel were great.