Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Multi-dedent pot movement called generically?

Warwick amps like to use large heavy brass knobs under mirror finish. They
must have had problems with biased resonance/ratcheting and controls
turning, as they have used domestic stereo pots with that
semi-locking/detenting for vol and gain, although only one track used in
each

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This curious datasheet from before 1995 (telephone number 4 digit area code)
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/104429.pdf
uses term multi-dedent but not a common term

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
This curious datasheet from before 1995 (telephone number 4 digit area
code)
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/104429.pdf
uses term multi-dedent but not a common term

Surely, the word is detent with a "t", isn't it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
Warwick amps like to use large heavy brass knobs under mirror finish. They
must have had problems with biased resonance/ratcheting and controls
turning, as they have used domestic stereo pots with that
semi-locking/detenting for vol and gain, although only one track used in
each

clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one I saw was in an
early 1980s Concept receiver. It was made by Alps and the replacement cost
was very high.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
Warwick amps like to use large heavy brass knobs under mirror finish.

They
must have had problems with biased resonance/ratcheting and controls
turning, as they have used domestic stereo pots with that
semi-locking/detenting for vol and gain, although only one track used in
each

clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one I saw was in an
early 1980s Concept receiver. It was made by Alps and the replacement cost
was very high.

I've just converted a standard mono sub-min Alpha pot to a "clicky" dedent
form ,for a Warwick. The other rotary controls in there have smaller metal
knobs so there are normal mono pots on those. Before writing up another tips
note, I was after a generic name for them

I thought it was dedent as it involved dents , into which a sprung loaded
ball dropped into

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
This curious datasheet from before 1995 (telephone number 4 digit area
code)
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/104429.pdf
uses term multi-dedent but not a common term

Surely, the word is detent with a "t", isn't it ?

Arfa

Convention does seem to be detent, I always thought it involved dents so
dedent. So where does this word detent come from , via detend? as in
detending to rotate or tent as in tenterhooks for suspending hides for
scraping to parchement etc

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Convention does seem to be detent, I always thought it involved
dents so dedent. So where does this word detent come from,
via detend? As in detending to rotate or tent as in tenterhooks
for suspending hides for scraping to parchement etc

It is absolutely trivial to look this up on line. "Detent" comes from an Old
French word meaning "to release", which is derived from a Latin word meaning
"to stretch".

There are no such English words as "dedend" or "dedent".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one
I saw was in an early 1980s Concept receiver. It was
made by Alps and the replacement cost was very high.

The fancy form of such a device is a "stepped attenuator", which switches
resistors in and out to produce the desired attenuation. My Lux 5C50 preamp
uses one made by Alps. "The Audio Amateur" has published articles on
designing stepped attenuators.

The other type is a plain-old pot with a detented knob. These used to be
common on car stereos.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:59:50 -0700, the renowned "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Convention does seem to be detent, I always thought it involved
dents so dedent. So where does this word detent come from,
via detend? As in detending to rotate or tent as in tenterhooks
for suspending hides for scraping to parchement etc

It is absolutely trivial to look this up on line. "Detent" comes from an Old
French word meaning "to release", which is derived from a Latin word meaning
"to stretch".

See "détente" (a sudden release of pressure), which was directly
borrowed into English (minus the accent) to describe Soviet-American
cold war negotiations . The meanings are very similar.

I suppose English could use an antonym for that word to apply to
current behavior patterns. Retente? It means something different in
French, but..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Convention does seem to be detent, I always thought it involved
dents so dedent. So where does this word detent come from,
via detend? As in detending to rotate or tent as in tenterhooks
for suspending hides for scraping to parchement etc

It is absolutely trivial to look this up on line. "Detent" comes from an Old
French word meaning "to release", which is derived from a Latin word meaning
"to stretch".

See "détente" (a sudden release of pressure), which was directly
borrowed into English (minus the accent) to describe Soviet-American
cold war negotiations . The meanings are very similar.

I suppose English could use an antonym for that word to apply to
current behavior patterns. Retente? It means something different in
French, but..

Given that the original detente propped up the Soviet Union for another
few years, until the Reagan buildup pushed them over the edge, let's
hope the current approach works as well as R's. Not likely, given the
hands at the tiller just now.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

that's what the Alps ones I saw were. Those old stereos were heavy and had
large producing knobs, so it wasn't too hard to break off the shaft of the
pots where the slot and splines were cut.

new volume knobs really feel crappy, like plastic slathered in grease,
which they are. Tuning knobs with the giant flywheel were great.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Er no. See

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/detent?s=t

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one
I saw was in an early 1980s Concept receiver. It was
made by Alps and the replacement cost was very high.

The fancy form of such a device is a "stepped attenuator", which switches
resistors in and out to produce the desired attenuation. My Lux 5C50
preamp
uses one made by Alps. "The Audio Amateur" has published articles on
designing stepped attenuators.

The other type is a plain-old pot with a detented knob. These used to be
common on car stereos.

A single centre detent position is still very common on balance pots on
hifi, and on tone controls on all sorts of amps

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
Clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one
I saw was in an early 1980s Concept receiver. It was
made by Alps and the replacement cost was very high.

The fancy form of such a device is a "stepped attenuator", which switches
resistors in and out to produce the desired attenuation. My Lux 5C50 preamp
uses one made by Alps. "The Audio Amateur" has published articles on
designing stepped attenuators.

The other type is a plain-old pot with a detented knob. These used to be
common on car stereos.

I have an hitachi preamplifier, which has steps, and I think it uses carbon
traces on boards to form the resistance, as resistors. From what I have
seen looking in. There are discrete attenuation steps, not gradual.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:59:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

There are no such English words as "dedend" or "dedent".

I beg to differ.

dedent
— v.tr.

to remove a depression in a surface made by pressure or a blow:
"The panelbeater dedented my door".

:-)

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:59:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

There are no such English words as "dedend" or "dedent".

I beg to differ.

dedent
- v.tr.

to remove a depression in a surface made by pressure or a blow:
"The panelbeater dedented my door".

:-)

- Franc Zabkar

I actually dedented a speaker cone yesterday

Just as well I found a work around for making clicky pots as I could only
find single detent/dedent pots (balance type) available in the UK.
It must have seriously ****ed-off musos when a gain or vol pot would turn of
its own
accord, due to biased resonance with those 4 ounce knobs , from built-in
speaker vibration

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are no such English words as "dedend" or "dedent".

I beg to differ.
dedent -- v.tr.

to remove a depression in a surface made by pressure or a blow:
"The panelbeater dedented my door".

Or... "The Gypsy offered to dedent my car's fender, but only made things
worse." (This actually happened. A policeman stepped in and chased him off.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:59:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

There are no such English words as "dedend" or "dedent".

I beg to differ.

dedent
- v.tr.

to remove a depression in a surface made by pressure or a blow:
"The panelbeater dedented my door".

:-)

- Franc Zabkar
--

In order to be 'good' English, that 'word' should probably be hyphenated as
in de-dented ... d:~}

Arfa