Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Multi-dedent pot movement called generically?

Clicky volume pot is all I've heard for them. The last one
I saw was in an early 1980s Concept receiver. It was
made by Alps and the replacement cost was very high.

The fancy form of such a device is a "stepped attenuator", which switches
resistors in and out to produce the desired attenuation. My Lux 5C50 preamp
uses one made by Alps. "The Audio Amateur" has published articles on
designing stepped attenuators.

The other type is a plain-old pot with a detented knob. These used to be
common on car stereos.