Doug Miller

Default Ticked at Rocklear

In article , Bob Brogan wrote:
In article m,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

He's also paying for being impatient. Didja see this in his post?

I'm paying for being impatient?

Yes, you are. You said yourself you "had to order from the catalog" because it
would take two weeks to get it into the store. Paying for the convenience of
getting it in a few days is one way to look at it, paying for not having the
patience to wait two weeks is another take on the same situation.

If you looked, the stuff had been in the
store and the display was still there and I'd bought it before.

I did see that. I agree with Charlie that it's unreasonable to expect the
store to still have in stock today the same stuff that it had in stock in
1998.

The SA
said it was some new person's decision and that, amongst other things
made him quit and was leaving in 4 days. Do you get the idea that there
are bigger problems when the sales guy quits because of problems like
this? He also alluded to other customer problems like this.

I also said that if ordered to the store it would take at least 2 weeks
to get there. That is no being impatient. I can order from Lee Valley
and it's shipped in 24-36 hrs.

And you can order from Rockler and have it shipped to your home in 24-36 hours
also. But if you want it sent to a Rockler *store* you need to wait until they
have a truck going to the store.

Why should Rockler be so much longer unless there's problems?

Because when you *pay* for the shipping, they'll send it wherever you want,
whenever you want. Free shipping means hitching a ride on their regular
delivery truck to the store. That happens on their schedule, not yours. Which
means you have to wait for their schedule, or pay to have it shipped when you
want it. Which means that you pay a penalty for impatience, or if you prefer,
you pay a premium for the convenience of quick delivery.

Under cab lighting is not an obscure product that few use either.

Evidently the demand for it at that store was not high enough that they felt
justified in taking up the shelf space.

It WAS in the store until recently.

And it isn't now. This is not unique: stores change their merchandise all
the time, without consulting you or me or, it sometimes seems, any of their
customers. Get over it.

I couldn't wait because I have a carpenter working and I'm presently
disabled, unfortunately. You could say it was my mistake for not calling
etc., but it's not like this is a wierd item that few buy.

Well, both the Rockler and Woodcraft stores in Indy are pretty well on the
other side of town from me, in an area with the city's worst traffic. Unless
I'm after something that I *know* they'll have in stock one place or the other
(like Titebond), I always call first. Just seems prudent to me. YMMV.

I had to order from the catalog to get it in a few days since ordering to
store was at best, 2 weeks.

I've ordered things from Rockler before, that I didn't want to pay the
shipping on. Just call the store and have them put it on their next regular
order. They'll call you when it's in.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com