Chris Hodges

Default Recycling - how do others cope?

Huge wrote:
Rinsing the containers out takes me a only a moment and completely

... wastes the benefit of recycling them.

Probably does on strict economic grounds, but as its marginal I would prefer
to see as much material as possible recycled rather than wasted.

Why? If it doesn't work on strict economic grounds, it doesn't work
on any other.

Depends how far ahead you look - landfill tax is escalating, and new
sites are becoming more expensive (as they're rarer) so costs are
rising. Incineration is unpopular with those who live near the
incinerators.

If you want a selfish point of view, you get more wheelie bin space
(assuming you're on them) - my local council won't take anything that's
not in the bin on the normal collection. Near where I work it's
rationed bin bags and recycling boxes.

If it's economics you're after - economies of scale.

If you were really worried about wasting water you could rinse them in a
bucket taken from the bath before emptying it, or use rainwater. I use
the end of the washing up water, as ther's no room for a dishwasher.

btw I was in Japan recently, where they have real space problems. You
have to sort rubbish into compostable, combustable, recyclables, etc.
At least one sort is collected almost daily.

--
Chris
-----