Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Last Project Completed

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

The problem I have with leaving them on the DVR is that I have had
Direct TV and Uverse. If the unit has a problem, you get an exchange
unit and you loose every thing. How many times did I get an exchange
with with Direct TV. at least 4 times in the first 2 years and once so
far in the first year with Uverse.

My DVR is a computer running a Linux version of MythTV. When it all
works, it's great. If you have a problem, well you better be familiar
with Linux. If you really screw up, the files are stored in standard MPG
format and you can pull the files off to another device and start over.

No device failures to report in years of using it, until the capture card
analog input went bad. (I had only had it for 8 years or so, 4 in daily
service.)

As with everything, though, there's good and bad. One big negative is
most set top boxes don't make it easy to change the channel via computer.
Remote control (IR remote) requires special hardware, but a good capture
card should provide an interface.

I find the irony interesting... My DirecTV box tries hard to remind me it
is a computer, while my computer tries hard to make me forget that it is.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.