Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do they read "Smart Meters"?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:49:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 19, 9:23*am, "
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:04:14 -0500, wrote:
How do they read "Smart Meters"?

I've heard two different stories on this.

1. They can read my usage anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and
do so right at the power company. *Supposedly the signal is sent via the
power lines to their office.

2. They can only read these meters by driving past the residence or
business where the meter is located, the signal is sent by a radio wave
and is limited to a certain number of feet from the meter, which they
read once a month by driving past homes with their meters. *The vehicles
they drive have a receiver to read them.

Which of these is true?

Both.

---

This brings up another thought.....
What would happen if I removed my "Smart meter"? *Would an alarm go off
in their office? *In the old days, when I had to work on the mains or
service entrance (beyond the meter) in a home, I'd just pull the meter,
do the work, and put the meter back. *Then I'd notify the power company
to tell them that I cut the band on the meter, and why I had to do so. I
never got any complains since I had legitimate reasons to do it.
I'd hesitate to do that these days.... even with a legitimate reason....

Call your power company and ask. *Do you think there is one answer?- Hide quoted text -

I'm trying to imagine the legitmate reasons to cut the seal
on the meter before calling the electric company..... I
saw it done once. The house was on fire and the fire company
did it

A lot of people do it to change the panel. Sure, they like to know up front
(some insist on doing it themselves - and charging disconnect/connect fees for
it) but most don't get panty-bunch if they're notified.