mich

Default Recycling - how do others cope?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

So , are you suggesting I put empty cans back into the cupbards Ive

taken
them out of , that is store them in with my food?

Don't be silly.

I wasnt being silly, thats what you implied.

I'm saying that you are prepared to store your cans etc.
full and don't complain about lack of space yet you're complaining of lack
of space to store them empty.

But as I said earlier, I dont store many cans. I dont eat out of cans. Or
drink out of them.

This is getting a bit off topic now but , since you ask:

This is something many old ladies do ,

Oh - not old men?

Mostly old ladies. Men store dirty cans! g

especially those who are finding it
hard to cope independently and are becoming senile. Ive taken many such

poor soul into a care home because her house had been piled high with

cans
( all nicely cleaned) and stacked in the kitchen cupboards next to her

food
supplies.

MANY???

And yes despite your disbelief it is many. The problem is quite a common one
in the elderly. It vaires in degree ( perhaps because they are a war time
generation when recycling was also an issue(?) . I cant say for sure why,
but ask any social worker/ community nurse / health visitor and they will
tell you its a common symptom. Sometimes houses are stuffed full of papers
and rubbish in boxes. You could see it as eccentric, but in old people its
often an reason for putting them into care.
So the many stands and it was a statement, not hyperbole.

I think you said that you had bags supplied? But it might have been

someone
else.

I am supplied with sacks. Thats the problem. The bags are underfoot
everywhere I turn. I have nowhere to put them.

I 've never kept a paper more than three days.

Its usually burned

Contributing to the CO2 layer.

I make no excuse. I burn them. I put them on the fire in place of fire
lighters. I have few options except to use solid fuel in my home.

A sack is taking me several weeks to fill

In that case it wouldn't take up much room hanging in an outhouse.

I dont have an outhouse. I dont have a utility room. I dont have a garage.
I said I have nowhere to put them.
And not a lot of available room near the house. I wondered if someone had
come up with space saver method of putting these things safely somewhere.

Have you thought about co-operating with your neighbours to fill sacks

so
that they would be full and removed more quickly?

What neighbours? I dont have any. I live in the middle of nowhere. The
"curbside" is the main road running at the bottom of my lane which connects
several dispersed communities to the main town. hence the dust cart has to
come across it and I suppose someone thought it would be a good idea to
shove us on the list of stops along the way.

My problem is a storage one caused because I dont generate enough waste
quickly enough.

That doesn't make sense, you know.

Yes it does make sense. You dont want to understand. I suspect you are
putting principle before practicality and fail to realise that some of us
are living fairly eco friendly and ssustainable lives already and in fact
recycling is creating a problem where previously there was none or a lesser
one.

I dont have many cans of food ( two a week maybe) , so I dont have many to
recycle. Previously they would go out in the weekly bin (just one bin for
collection - and not always full)

Now, they are put into the sack. the sack then sits there waiting to be
filled slowly, week by week.

I dont have many newspapers - one on a weekend and maybe a mid week one (
hence I used to burn them on the fire I have to make to heat the house,
water and sometimes cook too). Junk mail was shreded and either composted or
but in the black sack, depending on how I felt.

Now I have been told to put them in a sack. The sack fills slowly, again
its sitting around the kitchen floor. I can barely move with sacks all over
the place.

Life has problems but most of them are soluble. Where there's a will

there's
a way. You've been offered several solutions by contributors to this ng

but
you don't seem to want to solve your perceived problem.

No I havent actually. Most of them have said the same as you - use an
outhouse, or garage or utility which I dont have, so living where I do, I
have to apply for planning permission for this construction and use up my
garden for something I dont want, to store sacks which are not really
practical for a cause which is disputable

You'll just have to live with it.

No. Ive made up my mind. reading the debate here - I am dumping the half
dozen cans into the black bin bag next week, putting the papers on the aga,
and getting my kitchen back.
I will remember in future to make sure I buy even fewer cans than I do now.
And since the paper is rubbish anyway, I'll just get a weekly TV mag for the
whats on guide and burn it when I've finished with it.

Now thats a solution isnt it?