Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:46:57 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

bud-- wrote:
On 4/17/2012 2:09 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 4/15/2012 8:33 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
in terms of energy savings, privacy, fire risk, and, most
importantly, health ramifications. Thank You.
First, let me say my electronic assembly service company built
several thousand printed circuit boards a few years ago that were
used in a smart meter demonstration in Tacoma, WA. I can assure
everyone there is no capability in any so-called smart meter to
remotely shut off your electricity. In Oregon, that would in fact be
illegal. To disconnect a customer's power, a service person must
first determine there is no medical reason for service to be
uninterrupted at that location. then they can pull the meter.

The meter would have to have contacts or electronics that could switch
100 or more amps to remotely turn off the service. I have real doubts
that feature is built into any smart meter.

Here's a 200Amp Thyristor on Ebay for $22.00.

It's trivial to switch that much current.

Switching it efficiently is a little harder.