Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

bob haller wrote in news:2a9a0a27-6a3e-4bef-8c9b-
:

The meter would have to have contacts or electronics that could switch
100 or more amps to remotely turn off the service. I have real doubts
that feature is built into any smart meter.

in phoenix some fiancially challenged realtives have pay as you go
meters. after habitually having power cut off.......

buy a preaid power card at a store, insert in meter get so many
dollars of electric.

it must have a way to authenicate the card is valid. so 2 way
communication has to be involved

family reports a loud click when the meter turns off or on.........

presumably theres a high capacity contactor in the meters base to turn
the power off or on

PSE&G (north Jersey) is advertising big savings if you let them install a
new thermostat (sdsupposedly fancy), and let them control your A/C
somehow remotely, 15 min off and on. Since I have trouble believing what
ths particular utility does, I'm no game (yet).

--
Best regards
Han