Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Drilling clean holes in thin sheet

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I've got a little 3oz fuel tank (model airplane) made out of thin
tinplate (a Dole Pineapple Chunk can, actually). So, maybe about 10 or
15mil, with corrugations.

I need to drill a 1/2" diameter hole in it, to solder in a fitting. I
know that if I use a regular 1/2" twist drill I'll just rip out big hunks
of tin -- so that's a no-go.

This is a last-minute rework to get me to a contest this weekend, and
I've spent out the modeling budget this month. So I'd like to be able to
do it with tools I have in the shop rather than spending time or money I
don't have to order something, or even nip around to Horror Freight.

I have a nice stepped drill that goes up to 1/2 inch, but it's longer
than the tank. I may just go ahead and drill through and patch up the
far end -- but if there's a better solution, I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Drill a pilot hole and cut out with a coping saw? If the inside of the
tank is not accessible, make a handle (duct tape?) for the blade so the
free end is exposed. Orient the teeth so they cut on the pull stroke.

Another method I have used: drill a pilot hole and enlarge carefully to size
with a dremel grinding bit.