Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Last Project Completed

On 4/18/2012 12:59 AM, wrote:
On Apr 17, 5:40 pm, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
For the last 8 weeks I have been working on 3 book cases for a customer.
Of course I forgot to take my good camera and the camera phone had to
do.

Damnit, Leon.... don't make me come over there... =^0

But I want you co come over here Robert! LOL

You do all that beautiful work and you record your efforts with a
camera phone? Seriously, as we talked about as a passing comment at
Christmas, you should truly consider an album/portfolio of your work.

Yeah and I thought about you as I was clicking the shutter button on my
iPhone. :~) Seriously, I did,. Robert I have a very good camera with
wide angle and long telephoto lens which is pretty fast. But hey if you
don't use it what good is it? ;~) I am going back to add the pulls and
will take that camera then. Not being complete so to speak kept me from
taking the better camera. And unfortunately these recent jobs are so
large that it is hard to not include the shop clutter if I shoot before
I deliver. But I hear you, prior to getting a phone with a camera I
used a good camera to take pictures of all of my work. I do have a note
book portfolio but I am leaning towards pointing towards Flickr and
e-mailing a link.

Same with Karl. He does a nice job with his job photos, but he has a
lot of nice pieces in his house, too. Stuff to be proud of.

Yes, absolutely he does!

I am rarely without a camera these days. I document so much stuff
that I keep one in the truck almost all the time. And with the newest
camera I scored a really nice wide angle lens, Li battery, and found
batteries and 16GB cards with work with it just fine at Amazon.
Camera + batteries and big cards was about $130 after a pile of
discounts. But you can get a nice camera for documenting your work
(*hint* hint*) for less than that these days.

I have been at this business too long and honestly look back at some
of my finished work and wish I had taken just 15 minutes (or less... )
to snap a few pictures for me to look at later.

A few years ago I had a client that let me design their molding
install patterns, their crown molding profiles (using existing stock)
from the base molding (wood molding wrapped around curves) to the
ceiling treatments. These well heeled folks were delighted at the
fact that their moldings looked like no other, like their large 4
piece chair rails, down to the custom window sills with little crown
moldings (and returns!) underneath them.

They were so happy with the work they paid me to stay and personally
paint it all. In the end, I am not sure who was more proud of that
work, me or them.

But did I take a picture? NOOOOOO...... dumbass. What a
dumbass.
That opportunity was there and gone quickly as they couldn't wait to
move their furniture in and hang their pictures.

Not only did I miss an opportunity for a sales tool, but to remind
myself that not all of the work I do isn't just same sh*t, different
day.

Robert

Thank you Robert!