Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default sizing home jointers and planers?

"Swingman" wrote...
On 4/17/2012 11:48 AM, Leon wrote:

BUT for remodeling it would have to pay for itself in clean up time.

Just for the record, the current crew rate here is $35/labor hour (four
people $140/hour) for "top to bottom" cleanup after a remodel.

Current, and as quoted, for an upcoming cleanup next week on a remodel I'm
finishing up as we speak.

It wouldn't take an undue amount at that rate for a contractor to pay for
one of those in fewer hours of cleanup over a couple of jobs.

Again, as you pointed out earlier, Festool is a SYSTEM!!

The whole package may be kind of expensive. But they have the whole
package. The drywall sander itself, which I have never seen one like that
before. The abrasives, which as a Festool product is not only quality, but
lasts a long time. And, of course, the "dust extractor".

It seems to me that most folks who would buy such a system probably already
have the dust extractor. Dust free sanding would seem to be a super
marketing point. Not that many folks can say that. And having a sander or
two could easily create some more biz as well. Perhaps some touch up on the
cabinets or whatever.

And like real estate agents, who are clueless, contractors have no idea how
much stress they create for their clients. Reduce the stress levels, the
clients are happier. And since most folks charge by the job, it means you
get out of there sooner. Client is happier. Contractor make more money.
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

And, again, the best form of marketing is referrals. You make a good
impression, the client talks about it friends and neighbors. Reducing the
time on the job and the dust levels could be considered a legitimate
marketing expense. There is more than one way to justify the cost from a
business perspective.