Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default "Chipping" Metal

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 01:13:30 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus31455" wrote

What are you trying to accomplish, prove ownership, or have an
automatic inventory system?

Identify ownership. During the 70's Hughes Tool Company (Howard Hughes
oil drill bits) could not be purchased. They were leased. There was
NO doubt EVER about ownership. Hughes owned it, and they never sold
it, only leased it. A bit had to be accompanied with proper lease
papers, or it was considered stolen property, and recoverable by any
Hughes agent, LEO, or just a savvy oilfield worker who could take it to
Hughes and get a bounty. NOBODY EVER owned one. There was no question.

I am investigating this for my equipment. Of course, I would have to
have an enforcer and collector, but I think it would be worth it. I
just don't really think in my heart of hearts that a chip idea would
work.

Steve

The chips would work BUT if the product is metal you probably won't be
able to detect it due to the rf shielding. Same problem with most of the
remote ID methods.

You could try something with UV paint or IR reflective paints.

Well, Ed Huntress has mentioned that Hertel has done the "chip in a
channel" thing with success.

Presumably this would work with a low-frequency RFID chip. It might
reduce the range from yards down to inches -- but hey, if it works, it
works.

Some unique epoxy that's hard to counterfeit and easy to analyze would be
nice -- embed little plastic logos in it or something?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

With a Plasmacam, it could be cut into the main metal part. I don't know if
the plasma could be reduced in force to make a type of etching rather than a
cut, but it COULD be cut into the metal in thin lines that would not take a
lot of strength away from it, or on a dedicated plate.

Steve