Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Honing Aluminum Tube

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:58:07 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:57:48 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:26:40 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I need to put a smooth finish on the inside of some aluminum tube. 1"
ID smallest - 2" ID biggest. Same application different sizes. If it
was steel or cast iron I would just run a brake hone or cylinder hone
down it, but I think the stones would just pack up with aluminum if I
tried that with this. It doesn't need to be precise, just smooth. I
want to round off the weld seam (not to bad to begin with) and make it
fairly shiny inside. Flap wheels? Buffing wheel with a "course"
substitute for rouge? Other?

Ok shiny was probably not the best term. Smooth is more important. It
will
have a low pressure pneumatic seal with am o-ring and piston. The raw
tube
works ok, but I was thinking with a better than mill finish the o-rings
might last longer.

So far I have not worn out an o-ring with the existing units, but I would
like to make future ones "better."

The ball method..at a steady speed.

Or a cylinder hone (which is what I would use)

You don't think the stones will plug up with aluminum?

Not if you hone wet. I've honed a lot of aluminum brake cyls. Just
keep the stones wet. Varsol or brake fluid.

And use silicon carbide stones, rather than aluminum oxide.

--
Ed Huntress